Updated Detail About My Opening Scene

I have taken the rough outline for the storyline for my whole film and focused on the elements and structure for my opening scene. I have included a more in-depth description of what will happen in the opening scene, alongside the intended effect of the scene on the audience.

The opening sequence will begin with the production company titles and the first of the title credits. 

The scene will start with some eerie establishing shots of isolated locations, before cutting to the outside of a house in the town of 'Seven Devils' (I may create a sign with the name of the town to appear after the initial establishing shots). 

The audience will see two girls hanging out, with the mise-en-scene making it clear they are horror fans, discussing how they want to visit a supposed haunted and abandoned house to try and summon a spirit with their other friends, or to investigate rumours of an old woman who used to live there who allegedly murdered a group of teenagers in the past. 

Throughout the scene the audience will hear the girls discussing the house and/or planning how they will get there. While they talk, I will crosscut to shots of the outside and inside of the building they are discussing, with these shots accompanied by low-key lighting and haunting music. 


For a jump scare, during one of the shots in the building I will show a silhouetted figure moving between the hallways, accompanied by an amplified impact sound. Then it cuts to black. 

The intended effect of this scene is to create tension and suspense, to unsettle the spectator, whilst also introducing two of the main protagonists (and indicate the danger they are in), alongside introducing the antagonist (and the threat she poses). I will also work hard at establishing the setting and how isolated and potentially dangerous it is (as I have seen in many of the horror opening sequences I have watched).

Comments

Popular Posts